Bea Boomer’s Vital Aging Project – Day 42 – 4/8/15
- Enjoying a bowl of tomato soup? Add black beans for added fiber.
- For a tasty salad, skip the iceberg lettuce and use a colorful blend of greens – add chickpeas and a variety of veggies. You can also use the chickpeas to make hummus. Enjoy it with baby carrots, cucumber slices, celery, zucchini sticks, red or orange peppers . . .
- Love crusty bread? Instead of buttering it, blend olive oil with dried Italian seasoning and minced garlic (or garlic powder) and dip your bread in this mixture.
- For a heart-healthy breakfast, try regular or steel-cut oatmeal instead of the instant options. Add blueberries (or other types of berries), walnuts or almonds, apples with a tablespoonful of honey. Top with soymilk.
- When eating out, choose broiled salmon, lake trout, or whitefish instead of a steak. The omega-3 fatty acids in fatty fish can help us reduce heart attacks and other heart conditions.
- For a quick snack, choose a handful of almonds to help lower your cholesterol levels.
- To healthify your tacos, skip the ground beef. Try a soft taco made with whole grain tortillas, ground turkey, brown rice, and seasoned black beans. Top with avocado slices.
Bea would love to hear about your own heart-healthy food swap ideas. Drop me a line!
For further reading:
©Bea Boomers Wellness 2009-2015Tweet