(1) Simplify your shopping ~ If you’re into “shopping ‘til you drop,” and can do this without feeling overwhelmed, go for it! Me? I’ll pass on Black Friday craziness. This year, I did most of my shopping online. It was fun and easy. My daughter sent me links for her “wish list” and I clicked on the links, ordered the stuff, and voila, packages arrived like magic. Since she lives in another state, I had some of them sent directly to her, and enjoyed Amazon’s free shipping. I also bought my hubby’s gifts online, giving him the gift of fun stuff to do together, instead of the usual clothes! I’m giving money to my young great-nieces and nephews, which de-stresses my pre-holiday preparation even more.
(2) Unless you’re a glutton for punishment, don’t watch the news stations on television or the Internet. All the bad news will raise your blood pressure and give you nightmares! Instead, pop in your favorite holiday movie (For me, it’s Elf, a Christmas tradition for me and my daughter), listen to some seasonal music, or read a good book.
(3) Remember that the holiday party is about being with your loved ones – it’s about who’s at your table, not what’s on your table. I used to be a fanatic, baking and freezing hundreds of cookies, picking out dozens of new recipes and overspending on food and other goodies, basically driving myself crazy because everything had to be perfect!
(4) Relax before bedtime by curling up in a chair and listening to meditative music on your Ipod or other player. This is particularly relaxing when you turn the lights down low, light some candles, and enjoy the glow of your Christmas tree lights. (That is, if you celebrate Christmas)
(5) If you believe in a Higher Power, another wonderful way to relax and get into the spirit of the holidays is by reading a faith-based book. My current choice is The Inspirational Study Bible by Max Lucado, which provides life lessons along with the readings. Other options include books by Sarah Ban Breathnach (Simple Abundance), Eckhart Tolle (The Power of Now) or other inspirational authors. Tweet