Bea Boomer’s Wellness Project – Day 20 – 2/18/15
(1) Meditation may help us sleep better. At least 40% of Americans don’t get enough of the quality sleep they need to function well (Aschwanden). Many of these insomnia sufferers are women. Our insomnia is caused by hormonal changes we face in our lives, such as pregnancy and perimenopause. Bea is one of those women, and she’s ready to try meditation to get her zzzzzz’s back!
(2) Meditation relieves stress, and can help those of us who suffer from anxiety and depression.
(3) Meditation provides other mental health benefits: an increase in happiness, self-acceptance and awareness, concentration, focus and more – as found in this article from The Art of Living.
(4) Meditation can lower blood pressure, boost the immune system and even increase energy levels, just to name a few physical health benefits.
(5) Meditation may help strengthen our aging brain by slowing down the loss of gray matter, as described in this article from the UCLA newsroom.
Aschwanden, Christie. (Nov 2014). Counting Sleep. Prevention Magazine.
For Further Reading:
Want to try Guided Meditation? Bea downloaded a guided meditation album onto her Ipod, but there are free options online as well:
If you search YouTube, “guided meditations,” you’ll also find some good options.