Bea Boomer’s Vital Aging Project – Day 47 – 4/20/15
- Sunflower seeds – contain folate, a B vitamin we need to produce red blood cells and prevent anemia. They also contain tryptophan, which is good for stress management.
- Almonds – contain monounsaturated fats and fiber and help lower cholesterol levels.
- Blueberries – contain high levels of the antioxidant anthocyanin. May help relieve stress and even enhance our memory banks.
- Low-fat Greek yogurt – Add blueberries to plain yogurt (I add a little honey for sweetness) and you’ll get the goodness of berries, along with the digestive health benefits of yogurt.
- Light string cheese (made with 2% milk) – The Sargento brand has 50 calories in each piece. String cheese provides a nice amount of calcium and protein. For a mid-afternoon pick-me-up, pair with with a piece of fruit or whole grain crackers.
- Beanitos – The original is made with black beans, and are great with salsa. They’re high in fiber and protein and contain no sugar. The other varieties and more information about beanitos can be found here.
- Edamame – Looking for something different? Edamame (Japanese soy bean) is high in fiber and protein, low in calories and fat. It’s a great source of calcium, iron and protein.
- Garden Lite muffins – Found in the frozen section, they come in a variety of flavors, such as zucchini chocolate, banana chocolate chip, and blueberry oat. Made with veggies and fruits. Tasty, low-calorie, good source of fiber and gluten-free.
- Kind Healthy Grain Bars – contain a variety of healthy grains,(quinoa, oats, buckwheat) good source of fiber. Awesome variety of flavors, including Maple Pumpkin Seeds with Sea Salt, Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate, Vanilla Blueberry, and more.