Bea talks to herself – a lot. Must be an age thing. Or could it be a trait of her astrological sign, Gemini, the twins? Since she’s like two people (yea, one of them is evil, just ask Mr. B.) she’s allowed to converse with herself. (Or maybe she simply needs therapy. Whatever.)
How about you? Do you have an internal conversation going on all day? If so, are you always berating or picking on yourself for small mistakes? Is your emotional wellness suffering because negativity thrives in your mind?
What about at night, when you should be relaxing, and instead are going over all the bothersome stuff that went on during your day?
For many of us, the bad stuff starts to gnaw at us at night, when we’re not filling up our time with activities and our body is trying to unwind.
This type of negative thinking only leads to:
- Excess worry
Is your internal self-talk negative or positive? It may sound weird, but you are what you think.
If you are constantly putting yourself down, and predicting that things are going to go badly, life will often reflect that negative outlook. On the other hand, clearing out these negative thoughts can make a big difference in how you view the world and how the world responds to you.
This has been Bea’s experience in the last couple of years. Change in attitude led to change in perception which then led to a happier set of twins.
Yep, believe it or not, Bea was born moody. Ask her friends, her hubby, her siblings – oh yea, they’ll tell you some stories about Ms. Gemini. One minute UP, one minute DOWN, she was like a walking mood ring.
Then one day, she simply decided “I don’t want to live this way anymore.” (wow, really profound, eh?)
She learned how to change her attitude. She learned how to obtain a sense of serenity (Right on, Deepak Chopra). But believe me, it wasn’t Instant Karma. It isn’t easy, and it’s still a work in progress. But what the heck, life’s a journey, isn’t it? And Bea is working to make that journey a happier, more fulfilling one.
6 Things Bea does to Improve her Outlook:
• She reads motivational books and actually works to apply the principles described in these books.
• She’s learned how to re-wind that self-criticism tape that ran through her head and replace it with positive self-talk. (This takes practice!)
• She listens to inspirational/motivational CDs before bed – which help clear her mind of worrisome thoughts. Better sleep = Happier Bea.
• Every night, she makes a mental list of ten things she’s grateful for and thanks God for them.
• She compares her life to other people’s lives, and usually finds that her life is just peachy compared to some others she’s seen. (Watch the news if you really want an eye-opener! Crazy bad things are happening to people on the eleven o’clock news.)
• She chooses happiness. (Yea, after all those years of thinking she was just meant to be a cynical gloomy gus, she realized that she had been making a choice to be a crab ass – what a concept, Bea!)
Guess what? People who say that “Life’s a B**** and then you die?” They’re wrong.
Ain’t rich, ain’t young, ain’t no Victoria Secret model – but glad to be “Bea?” Yep. And I’m willing to bet that if you really think about it, you’re glad to be YOU, too.
You can find audio programs at the Brain Sync website.
This Success Conscious article talks about some action steps you can take to enhance positive thinking.
You can take Henrik Edberg’s “Positivity Challenge” here.
Christina’s site is called The Benefits of Positive Thinking, and she has a list of positive thinking books here.
Bea’s Quotes of the Day:
All that we are is the result of what we have thought. The mind is everything. What we think, we become. (Buddha)
Our lives are not determined by what happens to us, but by how we react to what happens; not by what life brings us, but by the attitude we bring to life. A positive attitude causes a chain reaction of positive thoughts, events, and outcomes. It is a catalyst . . . a spark that creates extraordinary results. (Author unknown)
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. (Abraham Lincoln)